I watched a good video about Detroit today and wanted to post it up here for all to see. The creator of the video put some commentary over the video, giving lots of good facts and statistics about the city.
Facts and statements about Detroit,taken from the author’s youtube video description:
1. Detroit is the 3rd most dangerous city to live in in the united states and flint a near by city is the 4th most dangerous criminal city in the usa.
2. 7 out of 10 murders go unsolved in the motor city.
3. There are 95,000 abandon homes in Detroit and 85,000 abandon businesses in Detroit.
4. Census has calculated that since 2000 to 2010 that 250,000 people have left Detroit.
5. Since 1950 half of Detroit’s population has left the motor city.
6. Unemployment is up to estimated 50% in the city of Detroit.
7. Graduation rates in the D are 25%! Kids are more likely to end up in prison than finishing high school.
8. More people live in poverty than cars on the street.
9. Abandon homes in Detroit have turned into drug houses and meth labs.
10. On devils night kids go out and burn abandon buildings about 200 last year were burned down.
11. At the MacDonald’s they had bullet proof windows like at a bank and you had to pass your money through a machine.
12. Michigan is the 3rd most unemployed state in the usa.
13. Obama bailed out GM and helped create 75,000 jobs but the jobs were out sourced and the people of Detroit never got to see any of those jobs.
14. Detroit looks like hurricane Katrina hit it
15. Detroit is the only place in America that you can walk around and see 30 story sky scrapers everywhere that are abandoned. This is not common in other cities.
16. Its like something you would see out of I am legend it looks like a abandoned historical city left in ruins
17. Detroit used to be one of the most high class wealthy cities in America.
18. Real state is at record lows because of the high amounts of abandon homes that lower housing cost. The Detroit news said that hundreds of houses are up for sale in Detroit for only a dollar $1
19. Wild animals are moving back into the city… pheasants, coyotes, even beavers
20. Criminals are moving to nearby cities like the capitol city of Michigan which is Lansing Mi and places like flint which has caused city crimes to rise in these near by cities.
21. Mayor Dave Bing has pledged to knock down 10,000 structures in his first term as part of a plan to size down Detroit, so the city can reflect its shrinking population